Now that you have your own pet, you will sometimes ear a “chime” sound when you are attacking an enemy. That chime will probably be accompanied by a couple of pink arrows on your pet’s target. When that happens, your pet has flanked an enemy and opens up two special maneuvers for the Lore-master.
Now, the documentation on Turbine’s part on the flank mechanic is not the best, so I hope you find this guide useful. For a young Lore-master you can expect to ear and see flank signs as soon as you get your first pet, the raven.
When an oponent is flanked, the Lore-master has 3 options to take advantage of that state:
– Use Improved Staff Strike, it will do double the damage. Improved Staff Strike is a traited version of your normal Staff Strike skill and we will talk about it on later posts.
– Use Sign of Battle: Wizardry (or Wizard’s Fire for more advance Lore-masters), and heal yourself for a small amount. The heal usually amounts to a morale-pot on-level. This heal can crit and restore up to two times its normal morale heal.
– Use Staff Sweep: As of the November 2010 update, Lore-Masters can also use the new skill Staff Sweep on a flanked oponent to receive a considerable power over time buff.
The flanked effect lasts 7 seconds. The advantages are also exclusive. You can either do a double staff strike or go for a heal. After one of them is used, the flanked state is dispersed.
Now, the flanked state is not a skill you can use. It’s something that has a chance of happening within your pets own attacks. So the faster a pet attacks the more chances you have of opening flanked states. For this I recommend the use of Sign of the Wild: Rage on your pet if you are going for increased flanked chances, since it speeds up your pet’s attacks.
As for pets, some flank more often than others. This is a list (of my experience) on which pets flank the most:
- Bog-Lurker: This legendary pet can flank a lot. It can flank a few attacks in a row and sometimes both my skills that take advantage of the flanked state can be on cooldown. It is, however, a bit unreliable. It can flank 4 times in one fight and none in the next encounter.
- Eagle: From my own experience, the eagle is the most reliable flanker. It usually flanks once every 15 to 20 seconds, making it a very safe pet if you want attack a powerful enemy, since it can give you reliable heals on a constant basis.
- Raven: From all the normal, non-legendary pets, the Raven is the one that flanks the most. Just be sure to deactivate auto-firing distraction since it won’t attack while distracting a foe.
- Lynx and Sabre-tooth: From my own experience these two cats have the same flank chance. Not very often but often enough if you want to have a DPS pet with some flanking chance.
- Bear: This furry friend does not flank very often. From my experience it is the lowest flanking pet, but as with all other pets, your mileage may vary.
One last thing. To see see the “Pink Arrows” on a flanked enemy you should enable the “Particle Effects” option (Menu-> Options-> Combat Options) to see this effect. For a more detailed explanation on the flanked mechanic you can check the Lorebook page.
Updated: Edited to reflect the November Lore-Master update. Changes were made to which level the LM acquires certain skills along with a new flanked mechanic, with staff-sweep.